Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Beginning of A Turnaround

I should have started this blog two and a half years ago, but was too busy helping to turn an organization around. There are so many stories to tell, so many lessons learned, lessons that can be used for the next engagement.

Many companies are in a state of flux, but many more are in a state of crisis. Crises immediately send management into panic mode, causing it to begin taking radical steps which they hope will stop the bleeding. Those steps mostly include making decisions to discontinue spending, closing plants/offices, and terminating ineffective managers and employees. And because of this, turnarounds are oftentimes excruciatingly painful and leave behind lots of scars.

I love being involved with turnarounds. Yes, they're taxing and sometimes down right stressful, but there is never a dull moment. Everything moves at a much more rapid pace than when doing normal business. I also enjoy them because, unlike my colleagues who spend their time working to improve processes, procedures and equipment, I get to spend time with the employees, which one could argue, is the most difficult part of a turnaround.

Turning around an organization, through it's employees, involves changing a counterproductive culture, developing leaders and building skill levels. No easy feat, especially when the change must often begin with management. But if I can get management on the same page, and aligned with where I see the areas of improvement are, then I'm on my way to helping rebuild a healthy organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment